How well do you know your prospects before you call on them. In this market, you are going to be asked to show them a value proposition that is irresistible. If not, they will show you the door.
Here are a few tips for digging deep into a prospect’s business so you know it well enough to talk like an expert.
1. Find their trade association and read the articles in their magazine or web site
2. Google their industry and see what is current
3. Find a similar company and ask for a tour. You ‘ll learn loads and may find another prospect!
4. Join an industry group on Linkedin and read the discussions
5. Contact a lower lever employee in the company and interview them
6. Attend a local trade association meeting
7. Interview an accountant or attorney who works in that industry
8. Search the local newspaper website for articles on the company
9. If they are publicly traded, read their 10k or 10Q reports or listen to their investor calls at seekingalpha.com
10. Find an non-competing company that does business with them and talk with their sales rep